Tuesday 25 September 2007

I Can Eat a Rainbow...Bento!


I decided to make something kiddish for lunch today. Even though it means spending a little more time and effort, I made this set of bento lunch for my boys. I managed to include all the 5 colours of fruits and vegetables in this rainbow set...there were green zucchini, yellow sweet corns, orange carrots, red tomatoes, and purple plums. I threw in some colourful low-sugar jelly beans and sour bears, and a bottle of vitagen made this a complete healthy meal.


The main "dish" was a rice burger...

and it turned out to be a 'tower' burger instead...

I piled up the burger with a meat patty (mixed with some finely chopped apples, and marinated with some salt & pepper), lettuce, tomatoes, and topped with some mushrooms & onions sauce (saute onions and mushroom slices with 2 tablespoon of Japanese terriyaki sauce and 2 tablespoon of water). The rice balls were lightly brushed with some light soya sauce before pan-fried over low heat. The carrots and sweet corns were par-boiled before mixing with the zucchini and some Japanese-style citrus salad dressings.

I was quite surprised that my younger boy was able to finish up all his greens...including the raw tomatoes...but the burgers were too tall for them to handle, so they actually ate it layer by layer ;)

Today is the Mid-autumn (or mooncake) festival...just to pass on the traditions to the younger ones, we will have mooncakes with tea tonight...and probably go for a short walk to see the full moon.

With this set of calligraphy done by my elder boy, I wish all who will be celebrating this occasion, 中秋节快乐!

12 comments:

Cuisine Paradise said...

Wow.. loves your cute and appearling bento :) I m sure your kids love them .... :) great job!!!!

Anonymous said...

I will vote u for best mommy in the world!

Anonymous said...

Your boy can write very very well! I like the clear strokes. Sad to say that after starting to work, all we do is to tap on the keyboard instead of picking up the pen and write.

I like the rice burger too! Can I one set too? :)

Anonymous said...

wow nice bento...its a nice n cute way of introducing colorful vegs 4 kids...n wat a great calligraphy done by ur boy...winx... =D

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Ellena, I've just started learning how to make a bento...you should have seen those super cute ones made by talented flickr members out there!

vb, thanks!! but all mums are the best when it has got anything to do with their children :)

Elyn, how true, I am not able to write with a pen and a paper anymore! My son still has got a looong way to go in terms of Caligraphy...it's like a never ending kind of art.

bakeAstory said...

Wow! nice! one day, i must try something like this for my little ones. you are a great mummy!

Small Small Baker said...

Very nice calligraphy!

Anonymous said...

Very beautiful writting!

May i know how old is your elder boy homebaker? Thx! :)

Happy Homebaker said...

hi ^cherie, my elder boy is 9 yr old, he's in P3 this year. He started taking caligraphy class when he was in P1.

The Health Conscious Shopper said...

can u teach me how to make the meat patty? i made mine and it fell apart!

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Canton Pixie, I am sorry, I did not follow a proper recipe...just "anyhow" made the patty. I simply add some pepper, salt and some Jap seasonings (eg terriyaki sauce) with some cornstarch (not sure how much I added, as I usually dont even use a spoon to measure, just estimate! maybe 1 tablespoon? for 3 meat patties). Mix the minced meat and shape into patties, leave them in the fridge for at least 30mins before pan-fry over low heat. The cornstarch will help to bind the meat, but u will still have to handle the patty with care when pan-frying. I am not sure whether u get much out of this, as I can't really cook!

The Health Conscious Shopper said...

oh, so it's cornstarch! ok, i go and try soon, thanks! and u r sooooo humble!!! all those fantastic pictures and still say donno how to cook!?!?!?